11 June 2007

words...

so as i was going to sleep last night thoughts of my blog danced in my head. i was trying to decide if i should make it about anything specific, as if daily minutiae wasn't specific enough. as i thought about it, the word pretentious popped in my head. it's obviously related to pretend and pretense. i'll break it down:

pre-: from the latin prae- used as a prefix denoting earlier, before, prior, in front of, anterior

ten: from the latin tendere meaning to stretch, extend, proceed

-tious: from the latin -tiosus used as a suffix to create an adjective denoting a condition or state

this is a word i've thought about before, so it wasn't new for me, but it did make me think that maybe this blog could be a place to put such random thoughts i have about words, their meanings and etymology. those are things i'm interested in. i really should go to graduate school for linguistics. damn...

1 comment:

B.R. said...

I concur. Etymologies do bring words to life. The perk of being a linguist is tasting the mini histories of words which so many produce without caring to know where they come from. And as I have always opined, you would, indeed, be a good etymologist!